Pages

Thursday 8 May 2014

Strike a Pose

I love taking pictures. I also hate taking pictures.

Scotch, the giant puppy
Photography: probably one of my favourite hobbies, but I get so disappointed when I take a million photos (okay, so not that many, but close to it) and only two turn out alright. I understand trawling the internet for 'tips and tricks' for taking the perfect photo. I know what it is like to not have the best-of-the-best gear, or editing software, or computer, or talent. I know all too well. But you can still capture a beautiful moment, even if the beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I am going to share some photos which I think hold their own beauty (even if only to me). They aren't great, and are nothing to write home about, but they are my attempts at photography and I enjoy it all the same.

I have not done anything to this pic. Sometimes raw images just turn out alright.



Dad likes to call our miniature cattle 'little pandas' because of their colouring.


Getting close and personal


Apparently it is very hard for your camera to take pictures of highly contrasting black and white. This isn't (by far!) the best pic, but I just like it for the arrangement. Baby animals are the cutest!



This picture has a filter on it. It's blurry and technically horrible, but for some reason I like it this way. Maybe I should call the blur artistic? ;)
 
Okay, these pictures are not the best but I can't help but like them. I have fun taking them and that's the main thing. It's the experience of trekking out into a slippery paddock, trying not to fall over, trying to get as close to the timid calves as possible, or trying to get further away from the over-inquisitive horses (animals don't quite understand focal length - but then again, neither do I). So, do not despair if you cannot get that professional look, it takes practice and knowledge to be able to frame pictures like the pros. Right now I enjoy the amateur look. The photos tell a little more; the struggle with focus, lighting, framing shots, camera settings, alongside all the attempts and effort in trying to nail it. And some shots just come by not worrying about any of those things. And that is why I love photography, but also hate it too.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment